Monday, April 18, 2011

My favorite chicken resources

I spent a lot of time looking through many, many books and websites. I'm sure I learned something from each but here are some that stick out in my mind:

Books:
Read from cover to cover -
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Raising Chickens
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens

Skimmed these books-
Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry
Chickens In Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide
The Joy of Keeping Chickens
Living with Chickens: Everything You Need to Know to Raise Your Own Backyard Flock
Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide

Books I'd still like to read-
City Chicks: Keeping Micro-flocks of Chickens as Garden Helpers, Compost Makers, Bio-reyclers, and Local Food Producers
Mini Encyclopedia of Chicken Breeds and Care: A Color Directory of the Most Popular Breeds and Their Care


Websites:

www.mypetchicken.com
www.backyardchickens.com

I visit these sites on a regular basis - backyardchickens.com in particular as there is soo much information from chicken owners of all levels (novice to pro) however BYC can be difficult to navigate through until you get "the lay of the land". mypetchicken.com is GREAT for novices, has a cool breed selector tool and you can order your chicks (as few as 3 standard chicks) directly through them (I did!)


Miscellaneous:

Two last resources that come to mind are:

The Meyer Hatchery Catalog - They include a poultry care section at the beginning of the catalog and a nice write up about each breed listed.

The Chicken Whisperer Radio Show (podcast available on itunes) - One thing you can even see when browsing website though, is that it is very, very commercial heavy.



As I mentioned at the beginning there are many, many great resources available - these are just the few I find myself going back to on regular basis

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment