Monday, April 18, 2011

Chick brooder

Prepared our brooder last night as our chicks are set to be hatched today (Monday 4/18) and can arrive anytime from Tuesday - Thursday.

Materials for the actual brooder:
Old cabinet (inside is about 1.5' x 2.5' with the doors closed)
Wire mesh (chicken wire would probably work fine)
Eye hooks
Peel-n-stick floor tile
Contact paper
Drill with hole cutting attachment (probably could use jigsaw)
White vinegar/white solution (for cleaning)


So I used an old cabinet already modified several years ago to hold my pet rats. Anyhow it already had the door cut and lined with wire meshing (forget what gauge we used, though) and there were also already eye hooks lining the inside top of the cabinet.

So the first thing I did was drill a large hole in the back of the cabinet so I could run an electrical cord out. It then, of course, it needed to be thoroughly cleaned so I washed down the inside with hot water and vinegar solution (1 part vinegar + 1 part water = great disinfectant). Then lined the bottom with some leftover peel-n-stick floor tiles and lined the walls with contact paper (the floors could have just as easily been covered with contact paper too) - I just thought it would be easier to clean if lined and really isn't necessary. Finally I lined the opening with about 1/2" wood scraps to (hopefully) keep the litter from falling out whenever the doors are opened.


Next we added the accessories.

For heat-
Brooder Lamp w/ceramic socket
100 watt red (flood)light bulb
Dimmer switch for table lamp


Getting the proper temp in the brooder was the most difficult project and it wasnt even that hard - just took a couple experimental set ups. The brooder lamp hung from the eyehooks (about 17-18" from the floor) and a 100 watt red flood light bulb made it a cozy 95 degrees! The lamp dimmer switch will allow me to lower the temp as needed.

For feed-
PVC pipe
PVC pipe elbows
Drill with hole cutting attachment


We just took a 1 1/4" pvc pipe with elbow joints at the ends, drilled 3 holes in it and hung with string from the eyehooks. The chicks aren't here yet to try it out so I can't say whether its functional or not yet but will update if it turns out to be a bust...

For water-
Water Bottles (we used old ice tea bottles)
Chicken watering nipples (search on ebay)
Drill with 11/32" attachment (maybe different depending on the chicken watering nipple specifications)



I'd really like the chicks to drink from water bottle nipple so they are not drinking water they've walked(pooped) in. Basically you just drill a 11/32" hole in whatever container you'd like to use - I used 2 ice tea bottles - and screw the nipple right in...SO simple but again - no chicks yet so idk if it'll turn out to be a bust or not.

For bedding/dustbath-
Pine shavings
Chinchilla dust bath
Old plasticware container



So I already lined the brooder with about 1-2" of pine shavings. I read that the first few days the shaving should be covered w/paper towel to make it easier for the chicks to walk...We didn't have any (paper towel) so I'm just gonna see how the do on the pine...We DID however (odd as it may be) have chinchilla dust bath so I took an old plasticware container and filled it for them to "bathe" in.

Miscellaneous-
Twine/heavy sting
Old CD's



Finally I stung some old cd's up - as "toys". I read they like the way the light reflects and looking at their reflection...we'll see.


And below is the final product - all I need are some chicks to try it out!

:)




No comments:

Post a Comment